Thursday, September 17, 2009

Soy Joy? Not so much.

The title really should read, "What not to do with tofu". I have, sadly, found out the hard way.

I love tofu. When prepared correctly it's a fabulous treat. Drain some extra firm, throw a dressing on it like sesame ginger and throw it in a bowl and I'm there. I made tofu last week with a soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. It was heavenly. This week, I tried something new and, alas, it didn't go well.

Cuba marinades aren't meant for tofu. PERIOD. I made the marinade from scratch with the finest of ingredients and let it all hang out overnight. After I seared it this morning I threw some in a breakfast bento and my lunch bento. I suppose the doubling up didn't help. Honestly, the flavor from the orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, garlic marinade only made the tofu SWEET. It was a bit like tamago, which I don't hate but don't particularly love.

It brought me no joy and much sadness. So, I beg you - don't do it. AND, if you have a good marinade for tofu then pass it along!

2 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I like soy and what ever goes with it- ginger and such, some tricks are to freeze the Tofu first - squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Don't over marinade as it will get soggy.
Somewhere I have a book I need to look for.
I like the firm the best.
Ma

Annapants! said...

Oh, I drain the tofu and get a lot of the liquid out. This was not the case of over marinading it either -- it was the marinade itself. Let me know what you find!!