Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dinner 09.17.09

It's not often I blog about what I actually cook for dinner. It's too laborious and, honestly, who *really* cares but me! That being said, I just had to blog about this one.

Since I set myself firm to counting points on Monday morning and, honestly didn't really think it out, I was ill prepared this week to start counting. I've done it for 4 days and done, eh, pretty well. However, part of it is BEING PREPARED. I can honestly say that I really hate thinking about food all the time. At the same time, if I don't think about it then I'm not being vigilant am I?

Before I left work today I was livid with myself because I was hungry, nothing thawed for dinner and all out of fresh veggies save one yellow bell pepper. Fuming I pulled a detour and told Tiste I was too hungry to thaw anything and we needed to go to the store. We all know, going to the store when you're hungry is a terrible thing! I was so mad that I had to go! It was either that, or get/make something that wouldn't be as healthy as what I could make at home with some fresh ingredients.

I have to brag now because, I won! I didn't know walking into the store what my game plan was but I knew it started in the produce section. I picked up some romaine, zucchini, and 1 impulse purchase... MUSHROOMS! Then, I cruised right past the salad bar and braved the cheese altar to find a lemon humus (snack for when I got home). Then took off like a rocket directly to the meat counter completely leaving Tiste dazed and a little confused.

I looked over all the choices but I wanted something EASY and low in points. I ran across an all natural chicken and garlic sausage that was very low in calories, four to a pack and not too expensive. It matched my goals and I was crossing my fingers it was low on points. After grabbing a quick heat potato dish for Tiste, low fat Wheat Thins (to go with the hummus) and Newman's Light Balsamic I was in the check out line while Tiste was still trying to keep up.

I got home, pre-heated the oven to 400 and pulled up the WW website.

Al fresco All Natural Chicken Sausages = 3 points!!!! ROCK OUT!!!

My lemony hummus was 2 tablespoons for 1 point, 7 wheat thins for 1 point and I happily snacked on that while I tossed the mushrooms w/ a touch of olive oil, curry powder and smashed garlic. I put those along with the frozen potato thing for Tiste and the chicken sausages and it all in my lasagna pan. Add a salad with zucchini, yellow bell pepper and crasins. Voila, dinner 30 minutes later.

(Aside: Tiste was actually a little disappointed I bought him a frozen starch. While he liked it he told me he wanted to eat as close to what I was eating as possible without getting "too crazy".)

Tiste put on some music and we ate at the table instead of watching TV. It was really nice. After dinner we picked up a bit and then Tiste suggested we go for a walk. We went for a 25-minute walk and got home just in time for Jeopardy.

It's been a good evening. I'm so proud I overcame my ill preparedness! I even have enough points for a sugar free jell-o and a few vanilla wafers. :)

3 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

ROCK ON! Good job!
Sounds good too!

Jariris said...

Sounds divine!

I'm thrilled to see your bento posts again! Go you!

Annapants! said...

It was tasty! YAY BENTO!!