Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I voted!

I was up at 5:45am this morning for my voting ritual. I have breakfast, make coffee and get to the poles as early. This time Tiste was coming along so it took longer getting out the door.

We got there at 6:30am and we stood in line for 2 hours! It was an event! There was a lady that had to have the paramedics called, the lead volunteer looked a little like Eartha Kitt and I learned a few more blonde jokes while standing in line.

Even got my free coffee from Starbucks before coming into work! :)

4 comments:

MH said...

FREE COFFEE?
I didn't get no stinkin' free coffee. I voted - shouldn't I get coffee??? Which candidate was handing out free coffee and where???
STARBUCKS???? FREE STARBUCKS??????
Dang, I missed it.........

cookingwithgas said...

Sorry we missed your call- we were at a potluck-watch glass blowing- Obama win-thing.
I'll pay today- dragging!
Ma

Annapants! said...

*snicker*
Glad to see that Dad's join us in the blog world!

I cried tears of joy last night and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :)

SuperDixieKitten said...

I cried last night, too.

I am excited for change and excited about the world my children are going to grow up in. Can you imagine how our lives would have been different if MLK or Robert Kennedy would have survived and shaped the country?!

The process of explaining to my kids how people died during the 60s for the color of their skin or the friends that had, about the Freedom Riders, SNCC, hoses and police dogs, and Selma has been difficult. It's so foreign to them.

I'm glad of that, in a way, even though I want them to know about these things and NEVER forget.

It wasn't long ago that bigots and small ideas ruled the world, but thankfully we're starting to outnumber them and cry out with a raging voice that we WILL be heard, we can speak with one voice and move the DC Machine and we WANT something different, something to believe in!

Damn! I just wanna run around and yell and jump and be joyful! Not just because 'my guy' won the election, but because my IDEALS are shared... by MILLIONS... and we all spoke and we were HEARD and we have the opportunity for real change and peace!