Thursday, June 4, 2009

...Lunch, in general...

I thought it would be a good time to talk about why I blog my lunch. I originally didn't feel like I needed to wave a flag to justify it or explain it, but I think I was wrong. I already recognized a few weeks ago that I'm sure you people have better things to do with your time. However, as this is my blog -- I blog about things that I have time for and significance to me.

I blog my lunch because it keeps me coming back here; checking other blogs, being connected and posting something (like my lunch) until I have something to say. I used to write a lot when I was younger. Now? Not so much. I would rather be doing something else than blogging 95% of the time. However, there's a something about writing in one's journal that makes me happy, and this is mine. I feel privileged to read other people's random and internal thoughts even if I think it's stupid, sappy, bitchy, insane or just plain weird. If it's not my cuppa tea... NEXT!

When I first started taking pictures of my lunch it was because I was attempting to make bento lunches. I started this process in October 2007 in order to facilitate and enjoy making my lunch for work. It was huge fun both Amanda, my #1 gal, and I were both making them. You get a fun lunchbox and you get to fill it with different things. Those pictures and that process started long before this blog's inception. Sadly, over the year and months that I've been making bentos (one for me AND one for Tiste) they just became fun lunches and not exactly 'bento'. Regardless, I kept packing lunches so I kept taking pictures. I hope that in doing this it will continue to push me to pack my lunch (not something I've always been good at doing), which has become increasingly more difficult since Amanda moved away.

On the quiet side, and if it had been asked why I post my lunch/bento then this is what I would have told you... Another by-product of packing my lunch that keeps me taking and posting pictures is more of a therapy. My ex-husband always pushed food on me. The women in my family obviously have issues with food. By posting my lunch every day (or as much as possible) it has forced me to be honest about what I eat for lunch and, therefore, makes me at least think about it and contemplate it. By posting it I'm not telling my mother, my friends or my finance that I'm having a salad every day and then really eating XYZ. I can't lie to myself when I have things like Chinese... I'm forced to look at it and acknowledge that's what I chose to eat.

This is the forum I have chosen for my therapy and I'm sorry that it's boring. For me, it's something I need. We all have our struggles and deal with it differently.

5 comments:

Jariris said...

You know? Good for you. If this format is working for you then you should keep doing it. Your blog is for YOU. At least you're posting something. I, sadly, am not.

And who is giving you shit about what you post? I'll go virtually break their legs. It's the least I can do long distance.

Jariris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cookingwithgas said...

Some days I wish I had you lunch.
As someone with first hand knowledge of the daily struggles of eating I feel what you are saying. I have been reading Aunt Les's Blog which reminds me of how hard it is.
We love food and it loves us. Making choices is what it’s all about.
I always enjoy what you write. You have a "good" way with words. I could only wish I could convey thoughts on paper as well as you can.
I hope you will continue to write as much and as often as possible.
kisses-

AMW said...

Your lunch blogs don't bore me.... They make me HUNGRY! And also make me wish that I packed my lunch more (read: ever.....).

Annapants! said...

Thanks for the support everyone! And, Ann... it's sooo easy, a caveman could do it! Join the lunch packers guild! :)