Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hurricanes & FlipFlops

Here we are again in hurricane season with nothing really to show for it but some rain and a bit of wind. I'm good with that though and we're even going to have a Hurricane Party at Ted and Lisa's tonight! The theme is TexMex so Amanda and I made a fresh salsa (of sorts) and are picking up Tiste from the work place and heading over... some time after our nap (it's one of those days).

With the A/C currently not working and humidity at 90%... Tiste and I have decided to shack-up with Amanda for the weekend! (Thanks again!) I'm just sad that Nadine is all alone at home with no one to keep her company. Plenty of food and water, a clean litter box... yeah, she should be good to go. Alas, she's been the needy and the moody since Tobi died in February. I've contemplated getting another cat but... well, the thought is still percolating.

Oh, so I mentioned the dish Amanda and I made -- I started this blog to jot it down.

Anna & Amanda's Made-Up Salsa
2 Cans Black Bean
1/2 Cup Brown Jasmine Rice
1/2 Cup Frozen Corn, Sweet and Delicious
1/2 Red Pepper, diced small
1/2 Yellow Pepper, diced small
1/4 Onion, diced small
2 Scallions, chopped thin
1 tspn Cumin
1/3 Cup Lime Juice
1 Tblspn Olive Oil, the good kind*
1/4 Cup Salsa
2 Pinches of Salt
Chopped Cilantro

Originally we made it w/o the salt and salsa but the flavor was a little bit flat. So, we added the salsa and salt. We're going to taste it before we head over to the party (BTW, the Hurricane Mixer is already packed) and see if it needs any adjustments and we'll be serving it with your choice of either multi-grain Tostitos or Snyder's multi-grain sun chips (lightly salted).

Lisa's making what she called Tamale Pie; I'm not sure exactly what that is but it had something to do with jalapeƱo cornbread. I think we'll be either watching No Country For Old Men or playing Deluxe Scrabble. I don't have a dog in that fight though; I'll be happy to either curl up for the movie or bring down someone's Scrabble game average. :)

Either way, I'm sure we will all have a great time! Hope everyone's staying dryer than I was this morning and thanking Hannah for the much needed rain in our region (she's moving fast enough there's no flooding, yay!).

No comments: