My mom now has a cooking blog. Wow, that woman is crazy with the blogs! But, I'm happy for it. I got a smile when I saw the post for Grma Darling's Pineapple Upside Down Cake! Regardless, this post has little to do with pineapple but a lot to do with cooking and my mom.
I went grocery shopping with Amanda last week and bought some mushrooms. I rarely buy mushrooms but I bought them on a whim. I thought that I would see what came of it. A few days went by and I was antsy to cook 'em up. After little thought I just dove in an prepped them for a saute. In the midst of it all I also had some zucchini and a red pepper. That got chopped as well. This part of the meal came out reminding we of something that Mom used to make.
Vampire Veggies
1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 large zucchini, cut into circles
10-12 white cap mushrooms, sliced thick w/o stems
1/2 Tblspn EVOO
1/2 Tblspn Fake Butter (I was out of the real thing)
Oregano
Parsley
a hint of salt
2 Tblspns Vampire Wine
Start w/ the EVOO in a cold pan, warm the pan to medium-high, toss in bell pepper and zucchini, toss to coat in oil, sprinkle with oregano and parsley, leave pan alone and dial it back to medium-low and start the chicken cooking.
Stupid Easy Oregano Chicken
1 1/2 chicken breast, cut into thick strips
EVOO, unmeasured
Oregano
Parsley
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Toss w/ all of the above in bowl, let sit while you start your veggies. After you've got the veggies started then Warm pan to medium-high, toss in your chicken, brown one both all sides and make sure it's cook thoroughly.
While chicken is browning, stir veggies occasionally and toss in the mushrooms, if needed kick up the heat. Toss in the red wine and cover veggies so you can finish off the chicken. Leave covered for at least 2 minutes then uncover and gently mix your chicken in with the veggies and yummy red wine reduction that is making your mushrooms so good.
And, voila ... it's dinner. In less than 30 minutes.
Serve it over leftover sushi rice or eat it plain. I personally, liked it plain.
Anyway, as I was eating this I realize that I've just replicated some flavor sense from my childhood. Not exactly but REALLY close. I wonder if she had/has a recipe for it!?
2 comments:
You know cooking is what ever is in the house! You are learning the fine art of throwing things together and having them come out tasting good!
You asked me once to teach you to cook and I said just watch. You were not happy with that answer- but seems like you might have been taking a peek!
Love you-Ma
No, I wasn't happy with the answer. But I certainly turned out to be a good cook! :) XOXO
Post a Comment