We've been doing Early Childhood Training here at YAV and ODU... It's been interesting hearing about formats for dance, music, storytelling and visual arts that teach kids valuable motor skills and more... 3-5 days residencies that also incorporate hands-on training for teachers.
We're looking over YA New Jersey's successful evaluation tools as well as classroom time with teachers to make them successful at presenting arts in the classroom. All very interesting stuff. I feel a little left out knowing that I'll just be scheduling it and not necessarily developing it for our chapter. My skills are better served working with our clients in having the initial conversation and helping them apply for grant funding to get the work into the classroom. Sad, but true.
Watching the artists work with such brilliant children doing fun activities that really lead to their development is awesome though. I have to say, I do feel like I'm missing out in not being able to interact with the children. However, that being said, I don't necessarily feel qualified to do it either.
Watching this though, I had memories of being with my mom somewhere (was it Montgomery Tech?) and doing activities that seemed similar in nature. My mom was, and is, always good at looking into the development of a child through 'playtime'. She would be a perfect artist to do this kind of work in the classroom!
No comments:
Post a Comment