Saturday, June 6, 2009

...Ballroom Dance...

Last night was the final event for a Ballroom Dance residency we've had at two schools in Norfolk. The kids did a great job highlighting what they learned and the parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, and teachers had a great time cheering for everyone! Lisa, her bro-in-law Rick, Tiste and I made it to the event despite the monsoon that whipped through Hampton Roads. It was a great event to remind me that my job is important and that I do work that impacts the lives of children.

Honestly, I wish I was more than just the behind the scenes gal Friday. Being behind the scenes has it's perks -- less meetings, less politics, less public speaking.

That being said, I do a lot for each residency that comes through my office and no one really knows. I'm not sure if it's that I don't get to interact with the kids or that I don't get to feel the pride in the completion of the project?? By attending the event last night it was good to remind myself; they don't need to know who I am and I do good work to make sure they have the arts alive in their school.

We secured the ODU theatre for the performance so the kids got to dance on a 'professional' stage. We also had a reception after the show for the dancers and their families. It was quite a sight! I would have loved to have seen at least one board member there but, sadly, no one came out. No superintendent of schools, no department heads... only one of the principals came. Regardless, the kids came, they danced and they has FUN.

Our education director, Toni, was presented with flowers for her help with the residency and her organizational skills. After everyone left she bequeathed them to me (she's the creative genius and I'm the logistics and budget girl), which was really sweet of her.

I took pictures of the flowers after I got them home and made an arrangement out of them for two reasons. Firstly, I did a kick-ass arrangement and I thought I would share. Secondly, Amanda worked hard on this residency and deserves some credit for her organizational skills on this project as well.

(Here's sharing the fleurs with you virtually my dear!)

On a sad note, this is the third and last year this project will be funded. We had a good run and I hope, someday, we'll find a foundation or corporation that would like to promote healthy living, courtesy, respect, teamwork and so much more through ballroom dancing for elementary school children.

3 comments:

Shortstuff said...

Hey AJ, That sounds like an absolute blast. I'll bet the kids had so much fun. Great job. The flowers look beautiful. Hugs, Aunt Les

cookingwithgas said...

Good job girl and all your hard work paid off.
The flowers look wonderful on your table.
Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Jariris said...

Awww - the flowers are lovely. Man, I just did the typing...

*L*