Monday, February 2, 2009

...Hot Sauce...

Lisa and I stopped into The Sauce Shop last week and purchased a few tasty items. We tried several hot sauces before browsing the store and we were impressed with a few. However, after browsing Lisa decided to get Toad Sweat's Chocolate Orange to try over vanilla ice cream (dessert for our impending roll-your-own-sushi dinner at Amanda's that evening). Sadly, it did not taste like chocolate or orange. I thought it tasted more like rum and Lisa thought it tasted more like coconut. Other reviews varied but the overall consensus was that it was, in fact, tasty to put hot sauce on your vanilla ice cream!

Fast forward to Friday; Tiste and I decided to go to the movies on Friday night and have dinner before hand. We texted Lisa to see if she and Nathan were interested. They were and so we made plans to meet up at Finn McCools (which is near them and close to our favorite theater). Sadly, it was Friday night at 5:30PM during resturant week so they were already packed and LOUD. We texted Lisa that we'd meet them at The Sauce Shop and we'd decide on dinner from there.

While we were all perusing the store Lisa decided to round-out her Toad Sweat collection with their other flavors... Cranberry and Lemon Vanilla. It turns out there's a FOURTH flavor not available at the shop which is Key Lime (yum!). She also decided to get a Strawberry hot sauce we'd liked when we were trying some samples. Then we were off to the steakhouse at the end of the strip. While we were walking over Lisa came up with a grand idea - we should try these over cheesecake! Yes, I know - you're judging me about my dessert consumption but who could resist trying 3 different kinds of hot sauce on your cheesecake!

After our lovely steaks and salads we ordered cheesecake and asked for 3 dipping bowls to pour the sauces in ... And it was heaven. I liked the Strawberry Sauce but it was a vinegar hot so it kind of soured the taste of the cheesecake. However, the Vanilla Lemon was beautiful and the Cranberry was devine. In the future, should you choose to serve a plain cheesecake for dessert, you should serve it with a side of Toad Sweat's Cranberry hot sauce. You won't regret it!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so going to find the Key Lime!

Seriously, the Toad Sweat sauces are fantastic. Sweet with just enough heat to remind you that they are indeed hot sauces (all varieties are made with habenero peppers).

I was really disappointed with the strawberry, but I think it would be great with a pork dish or maybe an Asian fusion chicken concoction. I'm wracking my brain for ideas right this very moment :-)

Yay for dessert hot sauces!

Lisa <--- She Who Loves To Love Food

SuperDixieKitten said...

You know, the BEST cheesecake I've ever had was a Habenero Cheesecake. The hot and the cream... OMG. My mouth is watering for it NOW!

Sadly, it was not popular amongst the taste buds of Randolph County, so the coffee shop quit serving it. QQ

SuperDixieKitten said...

W00t! Found the recipe on Google!

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/extra/cheesecake_recipe.txt