Monday, February 9, 2009

Love & Laughter

This is the best article I've ever read on interracial relationships. Tiste and I share something similar with this writer, we require a sense of humor surrounding typical stereotypes and negative experiences. If someone overhears us they often are taken aback and don't know how to respond. We have struggled with the idea of how to raise a mixed race baby in a world that still sees color; this gave us our answer - embrace it, make it funny and get over ourselves. It doesn't mean that it makes it hurt less when you're confronted with bigots but it certainly gives you a feeling that you are above their way of thinking.

Click on the pictures to see the whole thing.





3 comments:

Jariris said...

Phenomenal article Anna! Grant it, I'm a honky and have no real experience with these issues, but I'm always impressed when people can look beyond themselves to find the humor that exists in these sorts of situations.

Other people are stupid and we have to laugh - otherwise we would cry.

I also like that the author refuses to expect her love to "heal the world." Relationships are hard, I can't imagine the pressure of adding those sorts of expectations on too!!

cookingwithgas said...

thanks great read and they do remind me of you and tise- laughter gets you a LOOOOOONG ways through a relationship-
as we will state once again- there are so many reasons not to like someone- why would any one chose color??
Ma

Shortstuff said...

Great article, Anna. Thanks for sharing it. She makes some good points. Now I'm going to go Google zebralove.com. ;^)