Thursday, February 12, 2009

McCain Said... What?!

Feb.11th, 2009 John McCain said:
"$50 million in funding for the National Endowment for the Arts — all of us are for the arts," McCain said. "Tell me how that creates any significant number of jobs?"

Please tell him about your job by visiting his website.

* * * *

I didn't have a lot of time to spend on this; it could have been a lot better but here it is regardless. ~Anna

* * * *

Dear John,

I understand you are not aware of how funding for the arts creates jobs. So, I'd like to tell you what I do for a living. I am a Scheduling and Special Projects Director for a state-wide arts-in-education non-profit organization.

My company employees 180+ artists from across the nation who tie core curriculum, standards of learning and new initiatives into their performances, workshops and teacher workshops.

Not only do we employee artists but a staff of professionals that work to...
1. Ensure artistic quality,
2. Continuously develop and plan curriculum to support what teachers do in their classroom,
3. Make direct contact with schools and/or PTAs to schedule the educational assemblies and workshops in schools through-out the state, and
4. Work directly with college education programs to enhance the teaching skills of students studying arts-in-education or early childhood training.

The jobs we do impact not only our staff and our artists, but any organization with which we form a partnership. It is a domino affect outward from an arts organization!

Not to mention the janitorial staff, copier repair person, water bottle delivery person, FedEx, UPS, office supply store -- We work like a regular business and spend money in ALL of these areas.

Thank you so much for asking what I/we do.

Sincerely,
Anna L. Heywood

2 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

yea for the arts- you tell em!
Ma

Shortstuff said...

Great response, Anna. McCain is a misogynistic horse's fanny and doesn't know a THING about the arts. It's good of you to educate him and others. I would also send that letter to other members of Congress to help educate them. You can also send it to the White House via their contact page on www.whitehouse.gov. Get the info out so these guys know what kind of effect the arts have on the economy.