.... is a book of essays I'm reading about "27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom".
It's an interesting perspective.
I've always been interested in how relationships work. I'm not sure why but I've always felt I could navigate mine just a little bit better. I'm doing much better in communication realm. Being able to discuss things like personal freedom and relationship responsibilities; those can be hard things. However, when you're moving forward into a relationship where it's different from the social norm -- Which, incidentally, just happens to be where I live my life... -- How does one proceed?
I struggle to find the happy balance between the traditional female role and the post-feminism female role. Yeah, that's right - now I wanna stay home and raise children AND work 40 hours a week! Maybe it's because I'm so headstrong and independent? Yeah, it could be that... but, I've also been doing more reading over the years since my divorce on the post-feminism shift between male versus female roles. Hmm, what's it called? Oh, right... Gender-role identity.
It's not a bad thing. It's just this thing, that's there, that rears it's ugly head and says, "What do you mean housewife!? Wait, no - I'd like to be a housewife! Oh, wait... No, I'd really hate that." I've out earned my ex-husband and currently the BF. Does this mean that we take turns been June and Ward? Does this mean that I'm Ward and he's June? Just where do the gender-lines fall? I'm fine making more money than a significant other. If the roles were reversed; wouldn't I want them not to care either?
So, where's this going? I'm not really sure.
I know that Tiste and I are looking at the most economically reasonable way to proceed in our lives. Right now we're discussing him finishing school in something like Graphic Arts, which would increase his earning potential. Then, or overlapping, I'll go back to school to earn my degree in Business Administration or Education. That should put us in good spots to get jobs anywhere we want to live and/or possible freedom to work from home for at least one of us... And, tell me - just where do kids fit into this picture? *le sigh*
2 comments:
I loved my years of being "June"- then again I was home with two kids, goats,cats,dogs, rabbits, a big garden and baked bread every other day- it was a great life. I was June with a bit of a hippie- back to the earth slant.
Go back to school - kids will come- keeping planning!
Ma
Yes Mother! ;p
Actually, I agree. We've talked about the impact on our baby making that school would bring. We weigh the balance between not wanting to wait and wanting "to be ready". I ask you, just when is anybody ready?
I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your days of 'June'! Especially because I have great memories of those days. :)
We'll see -- right now I have the immediate need for air conditioning which is clouding my future planning as I am unable to focus on it! LOL
XOXO
Post a Comment